Google says the built-in microphone it never told Nest users about was ‘never supposed to be a secret’ (GOOG, GOOGL) – Pulse.com.gh

  • In early February, Google announced that Assistant would now work with its home security and alarm system Nest Secure.
  • The problem users didn’t know a microphone even existed on their Nest Secure devices to begin with.
  • On Tuesday, a Google spokesperson told Business Insider it had made an “error.”
  • “The on-device microphone was never intended to be a secret and should have been listed in the tech specs. That was an error on our part,” the spokesperson said.

In early February, Google announced that its home security and alarm system Nest Secure would be getting an update users would now be able to use Google Assistant on their devices.

The problem users didn’t know a microphone even existed on their Nest Secure devices to begin with. The existence of the micrphone was never disclosed in any of the product material.

On Tuesday, a Google spokesperson told Business Insider it had made an “error.”

“The on-device microphone was never intended to be a secret and should have been listed in the tech specs. That was an error on our part,” the spokesperson said. “The microphone has never been on, and is only activated when users specifically enable the option. Security systems often use microphones to provide features that rely on sound sensing. We included the mic on the device so that we can potentially offer additional features to our users in the future, such as the ability to detect broken glass .”

NOW WATCH: The history behind duct tape and what makes it a handy solution for just about anything

See Also:

Read More

McCabe: Rosenstein’s offer to wear wire was ‘absolutely not’ a good idea – Fox News

Former FBI deputy director Andrew McCabe on Tuesday claimed he unequivocally rejected deputy AG Rod Rosenstein’s suggestion about wearing a wire in the White House, saying it was “absolutely not” a good idea.

Sitting down with CNN’s Anderson Cooper, McCabe that he had nothing to do with the leaks that first publicized Rosenstein’s offer to record his conversation with President Trump in the wake of the dramatic May 2017 firing of FBI Director James Comey.

“At that moment, did you think that was a good idea?” Cooper asked.

“Absolutely not,” McCabe responded. “I felt that it was an incredibly invasive and a potentially precedent-setting thing to do. I didn’t think it was necessary at that point. I mean, if you think about it, the reason you would send someone in with a concealed recording device to tape the utterances and the statements of a subject is to capture evidence of intent. We didn’t need to do that in this case. We knew what the president intended. He made, through his own public statements to Lester Holt in the infamous interview — it was a risky and very controversial position that I did not want to put the agency in.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

McCabe told the CNN anchor that he documented his interactions with Rosenstein and that he handed his memos to investigators.

And when asked if he thought Rosenstein should have recused himself from the probe of Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election after invoking the 25th Amendment, McCabe said that was a decision for Rosenstein alone.

He later added that the country owes Rosenstein a “debt of gratitude” for appointing Special Counsel Robert Mueller to look into the Russia matter.

Read More

Lakers ‘concerned about LeBron’ in recovery from groin strain: Report – Yahoo Sports

LeBron James‘ health can be added to the list.’ data-reactid=”17″>Concerns about LeBron James‘ health can be added to the list.

From Joe Vardon:’ data-reactid=”19″>From Joe Vardon:

The Lakers are privately a little concerned about LeBron. Is he fully healed from the groin strain that cost him a career-worst 18 games? Is he going to pick up his intensity and propel this team back into the playoffs, as he did last year in Cleveland? James, 34, is actually averaging a triple double for the Lakers since his return from injury (23.2 points, 10.8 rebounds, 11.0 assists), but he’s just not moving at the same speed nor is he engaging at the point of attack. 

Injury concern shouldn’t be taken lightly at James’ age

Much like Tom Brady, the decline of James’ game has been predicted unsuccessfully on many occasions. But also like Brady, James is assuredly on the back end of his prime, and an injury concern like this one warrants attention.

Of James’ many remarkable assets as a basketball player, one of his most valuable is his availability. As Vardon noted, James had never missed 18 games with a single injury in his career. The most games he’s missed in a single season was 20 in 2011-12. He’s played 74 or more games out of 82 in 11 of his 13 complete NBA seasons.

That the Lakers are concerned that the 34-year-old James who just suffered the most significant injury of his career isn’t back at full force makes sense.


In a lost season with concerns about 34-year-old LeBron James recovering from a groin injury, how hard should the Lakers push their superstar? (Getty)

What should the Lakers do?

Now comes the question of how they should manage that concern.

After failing to add Davis or another difference-making piece before the deadline, the Lakers are playing for little more than pride for the rest of the season. This team is clearly not going to compete for a championship.

But that pride factor can’t be underestimated.

James has made the playoffs in every season since his second in the league. If his celebrated arrival in Los Angeles ends outside the playoffs, this season will be considered a massive failure. The pressure on Magic Johnson to make blockbuster moves this offseason will be even more intense.

And just think of the reaction from all of the Kobe-stans who scoffed at James being the next great Laker before he adorned the purple and gold.


Missing the playoffs this season would be viewed as a massive failure for Magic Johnson. (Getty)

What would missing playoffs mean?

But that disaster would be primarily in terms of perception. In practical terms, missing the playoffs wouldn’t make much difference from a likely first-round exit at the hands of one of the West’s powers.

Right now, the Lakers are in 10th place in the West, three games behind the 32-27 Clippers for the final playoff spot.

Caution is prudent

So if the Lakers are genuinely concerned about James’ health, then proceeding cautiously is the correct answer. This project is not about this season.

It’s most assuredly about next season and the season after that.

If James is good to go after some rest at the All-Star break, then the Lakers should move forward full throttle with the intent of making a playoff run. It’s a worthwhile goal.

But it’s not worth risking James’ health moving forward. This is a lost season in Los Angeles.

Next season still has potential and should be the primary focus of the Lakers moving forward.

More from Yahoo Sports:
Former NFL player fatally shot in parking dispute
QB Cousins angers Minnesota with a tweet
Just weeks after startup, AAF faced big money woes
LaMelo Ball still plans to go to college
‘ data-reactid=”82″>More from Yahoo Sports:
Former NFL player fatally shot in parking dispute
QB Cousins angers Minnesota with a tweet
Just weeks after startup, AAF faced big money woes
LaMelo Ball still plans to go to college

Read More

Watchdog sues DOJ for any secret recordings Rod Rosenstein made in the White House – Washington Examiner

A conservative watchdog is suing the Justice Department for any recordings Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein may have made while attending meetings in the White House.

Judicial Watch announced a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit on Wednesday, which seeks all records of communications between Rosenstein, the office of former Attorney General Jeff Sessions, and former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe about using the 25th Amendment to remove President Trump from office.

The lawsuit, filed last week in the U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia, also seeks all audio or visual recordings made by any official in the Office of the Attorney General or Deputy Attorney General of meetings in the executive office of the president or vice president.

The announcement of a lawsuit comes in the midst of an explosive media tour by McCabe, who is promoting his new book, in which he has provided on-the-record corroboration of months-old reports that Rosenstein told Justice Department officials about wearing a “wire” to record conversations with Trump and that he had discussed invoking the 25th Amendment against the president to remove him from office in the days after FBI Director James Comey was fired in the spring of 2017.

The Justice Department claims his version of events was “inaccurate and factually incorrect” and that Rosenstein never authorized the use of a wire to secretly record Trump.

Meanwhile, Trump has accused McCabe and Rosenstein of planning to carry out an “illegal and treasonous” plan against him.

Judicial Watch said it filed its lawsuit after the DOJ ignored three separate FOIA requests dating back to September, around when it was first reported Rosenstein had discussed the 25th Amendment and a secret wire, seeking records from between April 1, 2017 and May 31, 2017.

A Justice Department spokesperson declined to comment for this report.

“It is no surprise that we are facing an immense cover-up of senior FBI and DOJ leadership discussions to pursue a seditious coup against President Trump,” Judicial Watch president Tom Fitton said in a statement. “This effort to overthrow President Trump is a fundamental threat to our constitutional republic so Judicial Watch will do everything it can in the courts to expose everything possible about this lawlessness.”

A DOJ source told CNN on Sunday that Rosenstein plans to leave the department by mid-March but that it has nothing to do with McCabe’s claims over the past couple days and that Rosenstein always intended to leave after helping with the transition for his successor upon the confirmation of William Barr to be attorney general.

Read More

Clark County measles outbreak adds exposure sites, stays at 62 cases – The Columbian

Clark County Public Health hasn’t identified any new confirmed cases in its ongoing measles outbreak investigation. The confirmed measles case count remains at 62, but Public Health has identified one new exposure location and a new exposure time range for a previously identified exposure site.

There is one new suspected case, according to a Public Health news release. Here is the new exposure site and exposure time period for Pacific Middle School:

  • PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center Emergency Department, 400 N.E. Mother Joseph Place, Vancouver, from 7:45 to 11:05 p.m. Feb. 16.
  • Pacific Middle School, 2017 N.E. 172nd Ave., Vancouver, all day until 4:30 p.m. on Feb. 12. The school was already listed as an exposure site by Public Health, but this extends the exposure period into after-school activities.

For a complete list of exposure sites, visit our measles exposure site page.

Of the confirmed Clark County measles cases, 44 are children younger than 11. There are 15 cases between the ages of 11 and 18, one between the ages of 19 and 29 and two between the ages of 30 and 39.

For more information on the outbreak, visit Clark County Public Health’s measles investigation webpage at clark.wa.gov/public-health/measles-investigation.

Other cases have been identified in King County and the Portland area.

What to do if you might be infected

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that 90 percent of unvaccinated people exposed to the measles virus come down with the disease. The virus lives in the nose and throat mucus of an infected person, and can survive for up to two hours in an airspace where the infected person coughed or sneezed.

Health officials are urging anyone who has been exposed at an identified location and believes they have symptoms of measles to call their health care provider prior to visiting the medical office to make a plan that avoids exposing others in the waiting room.

If you are unsure of your family’s immunization status, you can view, download and print your family’s immunization information online at wa.MyIR.net or request a copy of your immunization record from the Washington State Department of Health.

Anyone with questions about measles infection or the measles vaccine should call their primary care provider or a county health department:

Clark County Public Health, 360-397-8021.
Multnomah County, Ore., Public Health, 503-988-3406.
Washington County, Ore., Public Health, 503-846-3594.
Clackamas County, Ore., Public Health, 503-655-8411.

Clark County Public Health has been regularly updating its list of locations where people may have been exposed to measles. There are dozens of locations in total, including hospitals, Portland International Airport and multiple schools.

Public Health has established a call center for questions related to the investigation. Anyone who has questions about public exposures should call 360-397-8021. The call center is open daily.

For a complete list of exposure sites, visit the Public Health measles investigation webpage at www.doh.wa.gov/YouandYourFamily/IllnessandDisease/Measles/MeaslesOutbreak.

Measles symptoms begin with a high fever, cough, runny nose and red eyes, followed by a rash that usually begins at the head and spreads to the rest of the body. A person can spread the virus before they show symptoms.

People are contagious with measles for up to four days before and up to four days after the rash appears. After someone is exposed to measles, illness develops in about one to three weeks.

Read More