U.S. performs world’s first organ transplants from living donors who have HIV – NBCNews.com

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.

By Associated Press

Surgeons in Baltimore have performed what’s thought to be the world’s first kidney transplant from a living donor with HIV, a milestone for patients with the AIDS virus who need a new organ. If other donors with HIV come forward, it could free up space on the transplant waiting list for everyone.

Nina Martinez of Atlanta traveled to Johns Hopkins University to donate a kidney to an HIV-positive stranger, saying she “wanted to make a difference in somebody else’s life” and counter the stigma that too often still surrounds HIV infection.

Many people think “somebody with HIV is supposed to look sick,” Martinez, 35, told The Associated Press before Monday’s operation. “It’s a powerful statement to show somebody like myself who’s healthy enough to be a living organ donor.”

Hopkins, which is making the transplant public on Thursday, said both Martinez and the recipient of her kidney, who chose to remain anonymous, are recovering well.

“Here’s a disease that in the past was a death sentence and now has been so well controlled that it offers people with that disease an opportunity to save somebody else,” said Dr. Dorry Segev, a Hopkins surgeon who pushed for the HIV Organ Policy Equity, or HOPE, Act that lifted a 25-year U.S. ban on transplants between people with HIV.

Surgeons operate on Nina Martinez, who is thought to be the world’s first kidney transplant living donor with HIV, in Baltimore on March 25, 2019.Johns Hopkins Medicine via AP

There’s no count of how many HIV-positive patients are among the 113,000 people on the nation’s waiting list for an organ transplant. HIV-positive patients can receive transplants from HIV-negative donors just like anyone else.

Only in the last few years, spurred by some pioneering operations in South Africa, have doctors begun transplanting organs from deceased donors with HIV into patients who also have the virus, organs that once would have been thrown away.

Since 2016, 116 such kidney and liver transplants have been performed in the U.S. as part of a research study, according to the United Network for Organ Sharing, or UNOS, which oversees the transplant system. One question is whether receiving an organ from someone with a different strain of HIV than their own poses any risks, but so far there have been no safety problems, said UNOS chief medical officer Dr. David Klassen.

Hopkins’ Segev said Monday’s kidney transplant was a world first. Doctors had hesitated to allow people still living with HIV to donate because of concern that their remaining kidney would be at risk of damage from the virus or older medications used to treat it.

But newer anti-HIV medications are safer and more effective, Segev said. His team recently studied the kidney health of 40,000 HIV-positive people and concluded that those with well-controlled HIV and no other kidney-harming ailments like high blood pressure should face the same risks from living donation as someone without HIV.

“There are potentially tens of thousands of people living with HIV right now who could be living kidney donors,” said Segev, who has advised some other hospitals considering the approach.

Generally, kidneys from living donors last longer, added Dr. Niraj Desai, the Hopkins surgeon caring for the recipient. And if more people living with HIV wind up donating, it helps more than HIV-positive patients who need a kidney.

“That’s one less person waiting for a limited resource,” Desai said. “That helps everybody on the list.”

Martinez, a public health consultant, became interested in living donation even before HIV-to-HIV transplants began. Then last summer she learned that an HIV-positive friend needed a transplant, and tracked down Segev to ask if she could donate.

Her friend died before Martinez finished the required health tests but she decided to honor him by donating to someone she didn’t know.

A runner who plans on making this fall’s Marine Corps Marathon, “I knew I was probably just as healthy as someone not living with HIV who was being evaluated as a kidney donor,” Martinez said. “I’ve never been surer of anything.”

Read More

Ohio pastor who allegedly groomed teen for sex with others convicted – NBCNews.com

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.

 / Updated 

By Associated Press

TOLEDO, Ohio — A former minister in Ohio has been convicted of child sex trafficking after a woman told jurors he groomed her for sex when she was 14 and encouraged her to have sex with two other pastors.

Pastor Anthony Haynes.Lucas County Sheriff’s Office / The Blade via AP file

Anthony Haynes faces up to life in prison. Jurors found him guilty Wednesday of charges including sex trafficking and child sexual exploitation.

The two other Toledo-area pastors who have pleaded guilty also are awaiting sentencing.

Prosecutors say Haynes paid the girl for sex during a three-year period after promising her mother he would protect her.

The 40-year-old former minister denied having sex with the girl and testified she tried to manipulate him, saying “I’m not a pervert.”

The now 19-year-old woman testified Haynes later introduced her to two other pastors. The church could not be reached for comment.

Read More

Charles Barkley tells Jussie Smollett there are ‘repercussions’ to actions: We all ‘lost in this scenario’ – Fox News

Charles Barkley shocked fans in late February when he piled onto allegations that Jussie Smollett faked a hate crime in Chicago — but even after the “Empire” actor’s charges were dropped this week, the former NBA star said he was sticking by his initial “sound advice.”

“When you commit a crime, don’t write a check,” joked Barkley during an appearance on “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” Wednesday, though Smollett was granted a nolle pros, which basically means his case has been dropped.

Colbert asked Barkley to weigh in on Smollett’s case, given the eyebrow-raising remarks he made about it during TNT’s NBA halftime show on Feb. 21.

KAMALA HARRIS ON JUSSIE SMOLLETT CHARGES BEING DROPPED: ‘I’M COMPLETELY CONFUSED’

“I think that we all lose. I think my black friends, my gay black friends, I think they lose because there’s all repercussions when you’re a minority. There’s always a double standard. You have to understand that and accept that. For every black, gay person out there, we lost. And it’s unfortunate,” Barkley said. “I don’t know that kid, I wish him nothing but the best …but you always have to look at the bigger picture.”

The 56-year-old acknowledged there are other gay kids out there struggling and claimed Smollett’s case damaged what he called an already “tenuous” relationship between the black community and police.

“We made the cops look really bad in this scenario and there’s probably going to be some resentment,” Barkley said. “And the bottom line is: Everybody lost in this scenario. It’s not good.”

The audience applauded after Barkley concluded his statement, as Colbert agreed, “No [it’s not good].”

ANTHONY ANDERSON HOPES JUSSIE SMOLLETT WINS AT NAACP IMAGE AWARDS: ‘THE SYSTEM WORKED FOR HIM’

Barkley’s tone was much more serious this time around. Last month, he made headlines for making light of the situation, drawing nervous laughter from his co-hosts and off-camera staffers during halftime coverage of a Houston Rockets-Los Angeles Lakers game.

“America, let me just tell you something,” said Barkley, alluding to reports at the time that Smollett had allegedly written a $3,500 check to pay for two men to attack him. “Do not commit crimes with checks. If you’re gonna break the law, do not write a check. … Get cash, man. I never use the ATM. Now, I heard you can only get 200 dollars … Gonna make a lot of stops at the ATM. … Do not write checks when you commit illegal activity.”

Smollett was indicted on 16 felony counts in connection to his Chicago attack allegations in early March. He pleaded not guilty and was cleared of all charges by the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office on Tuesday. Evidence in the case is also expected to remain sealed.

The “Empire” star has maintained his innocence throughout the investigation and said Tuesday he was ready “to just get back to work and move on” with his life.

Fox News’ Dom Calicchio contributed to this report.

Read More

Hubble Captures Rare Active Asteroid – Hubble Space Telescope at ESA

heic1906 — Science Release

28 March 2019

Thanks to an impressive collaboration bringing together data from ground-based telescopes, all-sky surveys and space-based facilities — including the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope — a rare self-destructing asteroid called 6478 Gault has been observed.

Clear images from the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope have provided researchers with new insight into asteroid Gault’s unusual past. The object is 4–9 kilometres wide and has two narrow, comet-like tails of debris that tell us that the asteroid is slowly undergoing self-destruction. Each tail is evidence of an active event that released material into space.

Gault was discovered in 1988. However, this observation of two debris tails is the first indication of the asteroid’s instability. This asteroid one of only a handful to be caught disintegrating by a process known as a YORP torque. When sunlight heats an asteroid, the infrared radiation that escapes from its warmed surface carries off both heat and momentum. This creates a small force that can cause the asteroid to spin faster. If this centrifugal force eventually overcomes gravity, the asteroid becomes unstable. Landslides on the object can release rubble and dust into space, leaving behind a tail of debris, as seen here with asteroid Gault.

“This self-destruction event is rare”, explained Olivier Hainaut (European Southern Observatory, Germany). “Active and unstable asteroids such as Gault are only now being detected by means of new survey telescopes that scan the entire sky, which means asteroids such as Gault that are misbehaving cannot escape detection any more.”

Astronomers estimate that among the 800,000 known asteroids that occupy the Asteroid Belt between Mars and Jupiter, YORP disruptions occur roughly once per year. The direct observation of this activity by the Hubble Space Telescope has provided astronomers with a special opportunity to study the composition of asteroids. By researching the material that this unstable asteroid releases into space, astronomers can get a glimpse into the history of planet formation in the early ages of the Solar System.

Understanding the nature of this active and self-destructive object has been a collaborative effort involving researchers and facilities around the world. The asteroid’s debris tail was first detected by the University of Hawaiʻi/NASA ATLAS (Asteroid Terrestrial-Impact Last Alert System) telescopes in the Hawaiian Islands on 5 January 2019. Upon review of archival data from ATLAS and UH/NASA Pan-STARRS (Panoramic Survey Telescope and Rapid Response System), it was found that the object’s larger tail of debris had been observed earlier in December 2018. Shortly thereafter, in January 2019, a second, shorter tail was seen by various telescopes, including the Isaac Newton, William Herschel, and ESA OGS Telescopes in La Palma and Tenerife, Spain; the Himalayan Chandra Telescope in India; and the CFHT in Hawaiʻi. Subsequent analysis of these observations suggested that the two events that produced these debris trails occurred around 28 October and 30 December 2018, respectively. These tails will only be visible for only a few months, after which the dust will have dispersed into interplanetary space.

Follow-up observations were then made by various ground-based telescopes. These data were used to deduce a two-hour rotation period for Gault, which is very close to the critical speed at which material will begin to tumble and slide across the asteroid’s surface before drifting off into space.

“Gault is the best ‘smoking-gun’ example of a fast rotator right at the two-hour limit”, explained lead author Jan Kleyna (University of Hawaiʻi, USA). “It could have been on the brink of instability for 10 million years. Even a tiny disturbance, like a small impact from a pebble, might have triggered the recent outbursts.”

Hubble’s sharp imaging provided valuable detail regarding the asteroid’s activity. From the narrow width of the streaming tails, researchers inferred that the release of material took place in short episodes lasting from a few hours to a couple of days. From the absence of excess dust in the immediate vicinity of the asteroid, they concluded that the asteroid’s activity was not caused by a collision with another massive object. Researchers hope that further observations will provide even more insight into this rare and curious object.

The team’s results have been accepted for publication in The Astrophysical Journal Letters.

More information

The Hubble Space Telescope is a project of international cooperation between ESA and NASA.

The research team’s work is presented in the scientific paper “The Sporadic Activity of (6478) Gault: A YORP driven event?”, which will be published in The Astrophysical Journal Letters.

ATLAS (Asteroid Terrestrial-impact Last Alert System) is an asteroid impact early warning system being developed by the University of Hawai’i and funded by NASA. It consists of two telescopes, 100 miles apart, which automatically scan the whole sky several times every night looking for moving objects.

The international team of astronomers in this study consists of Jan T. Kleyna (University of Hawai’i Institute for Astronomy, USA), Olivier R. Hainaut(European Southern Observatory, Germany), Karen J. Meech (University of Hawai’i Institute for Astronomy, USA), Henry H. Hsieh (Planetary Science Institute, USA, & Academia Sinica Institute of Astronomy and Astrophysics, Taiwan), Alan Fitzsimmons (Queen’s University Belfast Astrophysics Research Centre, UK), Marco Micheli (European Space Agency Near Earth Object Coordination Centre, Italy, & National Institute for Astrophysics – Osservatorio Astronomico di Roma, Italy), Jacqueline V. Keane (University of Hawai’i Institute for Astronomy, USA), Larry Denneau (University of Hawai’i Institute for Astronomy, USA), John Tonry (University of Hawai’i Institute for Astronomy, USA), Aren Heinze (University of Hawai’i Institute for Astronomy, USA), Bhuwan C. Bhatt(Indian Institute for Astrophysics, India), Devendra K. Sahu (Indian Institute for Astrophysics, India),

Detlef Koschny (European Space Agency European Space Research and Technology Centre, the Netherlands & Near Earth Object Coordination Centre, Italy, & Technical University of Munich, Germany), Ken W. Smith (Queen’s University Belfast Astrophysics Research Centre, UK), Harald Ebeling (University of Hawai’i Institute for Astronomy, USA), Robert Weryk (University of Hawai’i Institute for Astronomy, USA), Heather Flewelling (University of Hawai’i Institute for Astronomy, USA), and Richard J. Wainscoat (University of Hawai’i Institute for Astronomy, USA).

Image credit: NASA, ESA, NASA, ESA, K. Meech and J. Kleyna (University of Hawaii), O. Hainaut (European Southern Observatory), L. Calçada

Links

Contacts

Jan Kleyna
Institute for Astronomy
Honolulu, HI, USA
Tel: +1 808 956-0797
Email: kleyna@hawaii.edu

Olivier Hainaut
European Southern Observatory
Garching bei München, Germany
Tel: +49 89 3200 6752
Email: ohainaut@eso.org

Dr. Karen Meech
Institute for Astronomy
Honolulu, HI, USA
Tel: +1-808-956-6828
Email: meech@ifa.hawaii.edu

Bethany Downer
ESA/Hubble, Public Information Officer
Garching bei München, Germany
Email: bethany.downer@partner.eso.org

Read More

Lori Loughlin’s daughter Olivia Jade reportedly had patent for beauty brand denied over poor punctuation – USA TODAY



CLOSE


YouTuber, influencer…cheater? Lori Loughlin, mother of Olivia Jade and her sister, Isabella Rose, was charged with bribing their way into USC.
USA TODAY

Actress Lori Loughlin is under federal investigation after being accused of bribing University of Southern California officials to get her daughters, Olivia Jade and Isabella Rose Giannulli, into college. Now it appears that college wasn’t the only application Olivia struggled with. 

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office told Giannulli (who goes by Olivia Jade online) that her application to trademark “Olivia Jade Beauty” could not be accepted due to poor punctuation, according to reports from Entertainment Tonight and People.

“Proper punctuation in identifications is necessary to delineate explicitly each product or service within a list and to avoid ambiguity,” the USPTO wrote to Giannulli, according to the outlets. “Commas, semicolons, and apostrophes are the only punctuation that should be used.”

The letter from USPTO, which ET reports was dated March 15, took issue with Giannulli’s lack of punctuation at times, which made it difficult to clarify exactly what her makeup kits would be comprised of: “make-up setting spray lipstick lip gloss” should be separated by commas and the lack of punctuation could be interpreted as a single entity. 

“Applicant must correct the punctuation in the identification to clarify the individual items in the list of goods,” officials added. 

The USPTO also asked for clarification because “the nature of ‘moisturizer’ and ‘concealer’ must be further specified.”

According to ET, Giannulli has six months to resubmit her application before the office abandons it. 

Autoplay

Show Thumbnails

Show Captions

After the admissions scandal broke, so did past examples of Giannulli showcasing disregard for her education. 

Before starting college, she wrote on Twitter that it’s “so hard to try in school when you don’t care about anything you’re learning.”

While missing the first week of college to work in Fiji, she posted a video on her YouTube channel admitting that she wasn’t entirely keen on “the whole college thing.”

“I don’t know how much of school I’m going to attend,” she said. “But I do want the experience of, like, game days, partying. I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know.”

More: College admissions scandal: Graduate of Olivia Jade’s L.A. prep school hits back

More: What we know about Olivia Jade, Lori Loughlin’s daughter caught up in admissions scandal

More: What do feds allege Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin did and what happens next?

Autoplay

Show Thumbnails

Show Captions

Read or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2019/03/28/olivia-jades-beauty-brand-patent-denied-poor-punctuation-reports/3296946002/

Read More