Fox’s Griffin: Was told by diplomat that Syria attack was ‘direct result’ of US pullout decision | TheHill – The Hill

Fox News national security correspondent Jennifer Griffin reported that a senior foreign diplomat had told the network that the deadly suicide attack on U.S. troops in Syria was a “direct result of the announcement made by President TrumpDonald John TrumpOvernight Health Care: Dem chair plans hearing on Medicare for all | Senate GOP talks drug prices with Trump health chief | PhRMA CEO hopeful Trump reverses course on controversial pricing proposal Centrist efforts to convince Trump to end shutdown falter Cardi B expresses solidarity with federal workers not getting paid MORE that U.S. forces are pulling out.”

“U.S. allies remain up in arms about the U.S. announcing it is pulling out of Syria,” Griffin reported on Fox News chief anchor Shepard Smith’s newscast on Wednesday afternoon.

“A senior foreign diplomat tells Fox News, ‘This attack today is a direct result of the announcement made by President Trump that U.S. forces are pulling out. These troops had a bulls-eye on them when the president telegraphed that he was ordering a pullout’,” she added.  

Griffin did not name the diplomat.

The White House did not immediately reply to a request for comment from The Hill.

The Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) has claimed responsibility for an explosion that killed four Americans, including two troops, during what the U.S. military called “a routine patrol.”  

The White House condemned what it called a “terrorist attack.” 

“President Trump and I condemn the terrorist attack in Syria that claimed American lives and our hearts are with the loved ones of the fallen,” Vice President Pence said in a statement. “We honor their memory and we will never forget their service and sacrifice.”

The causalities included two U.S. service members, a defense contractor and a Defense Department civilian. 

In a surprise move, President Trump tweeted on Dec. 19 that the U.S. would pull the approximately 2,000 troops stationed in Syria, saying ISIS had been defeated. 

The action helped spur the resignation of Defense Secretary James MattisJames Norman MattisGOP reasserts NATO support after report on Trump’s wavering Overnight Defense: Trump faces blowback over report he discussed leaving NATO | Pentagon extends mission on border | Senate advances measure bucking Trump on Russia sanctions Trump suggested withdrawing US from NATO: report MORE.

However, the U.S. has since gone slow with the pullout, with national security adviser John Bolton saying last week that there is no concrete timetable for withdrawal. 

“There are objectives that we want to accomplish that condition the withdrawal,” Bolton told reporters during a trip to Jerusalem. “The timetable flows from the policy decisions that we need to implement.” 

Read More

Man Injects 18 ‘Doses’ of Semen Into Arm to Cure Back Pain, Ends Up in Hospital – Gizmodo

In a new case study, Irish doctors report the baffling case of a 33-year-old man who injected his own semen intravenously for a year and a half, a self-developed “cure” intended to treat his chronic back pain. It does not appear to have worked.

After reportedly injecting semen into his arm every month for 18 months, the man finally sought medical attention—but not for his arm. The patient instead complained of “severe, sudden onset lower pack pain,” having lifted a “heavy steel object” three days beforehand. During his checkup, the doctor found a patch of red swelling on his right forearm, after which the man admitted he’d been injecting himself with his own semen using a hypodermic needle he purchased online.

This time around, he had injected three “doses” of semen, entering both his blood vessels and his muscles.

“This is the first reported case of semen injection for use as a medical treatment,” the doctors at Adelaide and Meath Hospital in Ireland wrote in the case study, titled “Semenly” Harmless Back Pain: An Unusual Presentation of a Subcutaneous Abscess,” published in the Irish Medical Journal.

The swollen region grew and hardened around the area on his arm where he’d injected his semen, and an x-ray revealed an area of trapped air beneath the man’s skin. The doctors immediately hospitalized the patient, treating him with an intravenous antimicrobial therapy. After the patient’s back pain improved, he discharged himself.

The doctors performed a search of the medical literature and beyond, revealing not a single case of intravenous semen injection for back pain. According to the case study:

Although there is a report of the effects of subcutaneous semen injection into rats and rabbits, there were no cases of intravenous semen injection into humans found across the literature. A search of more eclectic internet sites and forums found no other documentation of semen injection for back pain treatment or other uses. Attempts at intravenous and arterial injection of harmful substances such as mercury, gasoline, charcoal lighter fluid, hydrochloric acid and hydrocarbon are well described and are generally carried out in attempted suicide as opposed to the case detailed above in which the patient was aiming to relieve physical discomfort.

After dutifully reporting the first ever case of a man injecting himself with his own semen to try to treat his back pain, the authors offered a warning: It’s dangerous for the untrained to perform intravenous injections on themselves, especially when they’re injecting things that aren’t supposed to be injected into veins, like semen.

This isn’t the first time we’ve seen something… like this. Perhaps this case reminds you of Aaron Traywick, the deceased biohacker who once gave himself an unregulated herpes treatment in front of a crowd.

The doctors behind the new case study note that the semen-injecting patient demonstrates the risks of experimenting on yourself prior to safety-assessed clinical research.

Read More

Apple reportedly plans to slow down hiring after weak iPhone sales – The Verge

Apple will slow down its hiring in some divisions after holiday iPhone sales came in lower than expected, according to a report from Bloomberg. That’s not quite as severe as a full-blown hiring freeze and far from layoffs. But it does indicate the company that was, just six months ago, valued at over a trillion dollars is entering a period of financial uncertainty, as the success of the iPhone has begun to visibly falter.

Apple CEO Tim Cook disclosed the hiring slowdown to employees in a meeting earlier this month, Bloomberg reports. Cook reportedly elaborated that he had not decided which divisions would hire less employees, but did say that Apple’s artificial intelligence team would continue to aggressively expand its headcount. While Cook didn’t specifically call out the marketing team, Bloomberg reported in December that Apple had shifted some of its marketing team’s focus onto the iPhone and away from other projects.

Two weeks ago, Cook warned investors in a letter that Apple’s first-quarter earnings were likely to be weaker than expected, as fewer consumers bought Apple’s new, pricier iPhones. Following a discounted battery upgrade program launched in December 2017 as a result of the throttling debacle, many customers opted to replace their batteries instead of buying new phones, a factor Cook cited as contributing to weak iPhone sales. Earlier this week, we learned that the number of battery replacements might have been as high as 11 million. We’ve reached out to Apple for comment.

Read More

Family asking for prayers after remains of missing Texas teen Thomas Brown identified – NBCNews.com

Remains found near Canadian, Texas have been identified as Thomas Brown, an 18-year-old missing from the area since November of 2016.




Thomas Brown

“We have been advised that the remains of Tom Brown, of Canadian, Texas, has been found off of Lake Marvin Road – near Lake Marvin,” read a Tuesday press release by Klein Investigations and Consulting, a private investigating group working with the Brown family. “His remains have been confirmed through dental records.”

Family members were informed of the discovery Tuesday afternoon.

“We ask for prayers for our family, Thomas’s friends and our community,” Thomas’s mother Penny Kendall-Meek told Dateline Wednesday. “We are heartbroken.”

Tuesday’s press release stated the remains were “found by a person that had heard the call from law enforcement and [Klein Investigations and Consulting] asking everyone to keep a watch on Lake Marvin Road.” It’s unclear on what date the remains were found.

“The person did the right thing – if you see something say something,” the release reads. “Although the discovery of Tom’s remains gives some closure to the mystery of his location, there are still questions on what really happened on Lake Marvin Road. And now, a new phase will begin in the investigation, and those whom may know something need to come forward now.”

The press release does not detail Thomas’s cause of death. The Hemphill County Sheriff’s Office told Dateline in November of 2018 that Thomas’s case was turned over to the Texas Attorney General Criminal Investigation Division in the beginning of 2018. The Texas Attorney General Criminal Investigation Division did not reply to Dateline’s request for comment.

As Dateline originally reported, Thomas Brown was last seen in his hometown of Canadian, Texas on the night of November 23, 2016. Thomas’s family grew concerned as soon as he failed to return home by his typically-followed midnight curfew.

“Thomas never missed curfew. He would even come home well before curfew, and then he and his friends would play video games,” his mother Penny told Dateline in November of 2018. Penny said she and Thomas’s brother, Tucker, drove around town for a couple of hours searching for Thomas’s car, but had no luck.

Unbeknownst to Penny, a couple of hours later — after dawn — one of Thomas’s friends went up in with her father in a helicopter to look for Thomas’s car. They spotted the car in a remote section of the Canadian, Texas suburbs, about four miles from Thomas’s home. But Thomas was nowhere to be seen.

“It was found near where our sewage ponds are, which is not near anywhere he would have gone,” Penny told Dateline of the car’s location. Penny added that Thomas’s phone, laptop, backpack, and keys were all missing from the car, though the chargers were still there.

Two months after Thomas disappeared, his backpack was located about four miles from where his car had been found. About 10 months later, in a subsequent search, Thomas’s cellphone was also located. It was found five miles from where his backpack was, nine miles from the car.

Thomas was in his senior year of high school when he disappeared.

“The first year Thomas was missing, we wanted to give a scholarship in his honor because he was not graduating with his class,” Penny told Dateline in November. “Our hope is to be able to raise enough money to be able to give the scholarship to a Canadian high school student every year, but also to be able to give scholarships throughout the [Texas] Panhandle.”

Penny added that while the scholarship is to honor Thomas, it’s also to give back to the people who have helped support her and her family over the past two years.

“I don’t have words to describe the support we have gotten throughout the Panhandle,” she said. “I have received messages from people all over the world.”

If you have any information on Thomas’s case, please call the Texas Attorney General Criminal Investigation Division at 512-463-2100.

Read More

ICE almost deported a U.S.-born Marine veteran, says ACLU – NBCNews.com

By Associated Press

DETROIT — A Marine veteran with post-traumatic stress disorder was held for three days for possible deportation before federal authorities learned that he was a U.S. citizen born in Michigan, lawyers said Wednesday.

Jilmar Ramos-Gomez, 27, lives in the Grand Rapids area. He was released on Dec. 17 from a detention center in Calhoun County after personal records were provided to Immigration and Customs Enforcement, according to the American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan.

“Why did they think he was a non-citizen? Did they get him confused with someone else? Who knows,” ACLU attorney Miriam Aukerman said. “This is an individual who’s incredibly vulnerable with a mental illness.”

ICE spokesman Khaalid Walls in Detroit said he couldn’t respond to media inquiries because of the partial government shutdown.

Ramos-Gomez was in the Kent County jail after being accused of trespassing and damaging a fire alarm at a Grand Rapids hospital on Nov. 21. The ACLU said he pleaded guilty and was supposed to be released on Dec. 14 while awaiting a sentence.

But ICE contacted the jail and requested that Ramos-Gomez be held for pickup. Kent County Undersheriff Chuck DeWitt said ICE, like other law enforcement agencies, has access to fingerprint records.

“Once he was released from our custody, he was under the domain of ICE. Where they take him is their process,” DeWitt said. “Our procedures were followed.”

Jilmar Ramos-Gomez in his US Marine military company in San Diego, CA on January 13, 2012.via ACLU of Michigan

DeWitt said he didn’t know whether Ramos-Gomez protested when immigration officers picked him up.

Ramos-Gomez was driven 70 miles to a detention center in Battle Creek. He was released after three days, after lawyer Richard Kessler contacted ICE on behalf of the man’s family.

Ramos-Gomez is receiving mental-health care and wasn’t available for an interview Wednesday.

He was a lance corporal in the Marines and received awards for service in Afghanistan. The ACLU said his PTSD had a role in the disturbance at the hospital.

The ACLU is asking the Kent County sheriff and county commissioners to investigate the jail’s role in releasing Ramos-Gomez to ICE. Aukerman said Ramos-Gomez’ treatment was “appalling.”

FOLLOW NBC LATINO ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER AND INSTAGRAM.

Read More

Michigan parents charged in fentanyl overdose death of 18-month-old – Fox News

Two Michigan parents were charged Tuesday with the murder of their infant daughter, who prosecutors say had an “extraordinary” amount of fentanyl in her system at the time of her death.

Macomb County Prosecutor Eric Smith announced second-degree murder charges for Antonio Floyd, 28, and Shantanice Barksdale, 27, in the Christmas Day death of 18-month-old Ava Floyd.

ONE PERSON DEAD, 12 MORE HOSPITALIZED AFTER SUSPEECTED FENTANYL LEADS TO ‘MASS OVERDOSE,’ POLICE SAY

Floyd, Barksdale and their three children were visiting their grandmother in Warren, Michigan, when the infant reportedly stopped breathing. She was taken to an area hospital where she was pronounced dead about 3:31 p.m.

According to a press release from Smith’s office, despite there being no visible signs to explain Ava’s death, an autopsy by the medical examiner’s office revealed that the baby had “an extraordinary level of the narcotic fentanyl in her system at the time of death.”

FENTANYL NOW DEADLIEST DRUG IN AMERICA, METH OVERDOSES GROWING, CDC SAYS

Police were notified, and on Thursday search warrants were issued for the grandmother’s home and the suspects’ home in Clinton Township.

Authorities discovered evidence of “manufacturing and distributing narcotics” inside Floyd and Barksdale’s home and a subsequent investigation led them to believe that the couple were involved in a drug trafficking scheme.

Police say the home where the children lived was the site of the processing and packaging of the opioid.

“… to see an infant experience such a tragic death on Christmas morning as a result of ingesting a large quantity of her parents’ fentanyl is truly gut-wrenching,” Smith said. “This type of criminal behavior will be met with the full weight of this Prosecutors office.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The suspects will face additional charges including manslaughter, second-degree child abuse, and delivery/manufacture of a controlled substance.

Attorneys for Floyd and Barksdale on Tuesday declined to comment to The Associated Press.

Read More